Monday, November 06, 2006

When You’re Right, You’re Right

Going “Behind the Book” on the topic of fearlessness for The Huffington Post, novelist, thriller leader, and marketing maven M.J. Rose (The Venus Fix) waxes admiringly about Robert Ferrigno’s latest thriller, Prayers for the Assassin. Rose’s piece is part interview, part salute:
Some authors try to write on the edge, or over it in order to stand out. But what makes Ferrigno one of my heroes is that his fearless passion for the story came first.

“My commitment to write the book was total, regardless of the risk or the cost. I think the essence of Western civilization is the freedom to be constantly appalled and still think it's worth it. I spent over a year reading the Koran and other books on Islam, months and months immersed in Islamic websites. I was a different person by the time I started to write, for which I am eternally grateful.

“But I have to admit, there is a certain seduction to doing exactly what you want, especially when people you trust are warning you it's a mistake. The scary part is that most of the time the people you trust are right.”
The Huffington Post piece can be found here.

No comments: