Thursday, November 02, 2006

Stephen King in Paris Review

While at The Paris Review Web site, check out Stephen King’s interview for the fall 2006 issue, a portion of which is available online. When asked, “What do you think it is that we’re afraid of?” King was as articulate as ever:
I don’t think there’s anything that I’m not afraid of, on some level. But if you mean, What are we afraid of, as humans? Chaos. The outsider. We’re afraid of change. We’re afraid of disruption, and that is what I’m interested in. I mean, there are a lot of people whose writing I really love--one of them is the American poet Philip Booth--who write about ordinary life straight up, but I just can’t do that. ...

We’re terrified of disruption. We’re afraid that somebody’s going to steal our mushrooms in the checkout line.
You can read more of the interview here.

No comments: