Friday, October 06, 2006

It’s a Matter of Inspiration

In a new interview with the British Webmag Shots, novelist Harlan Coben (Promise Me) pooh-poohs the conventional wisdom that authors shouldn’t read other works that are similar to what they themselves are writing:
I like to read crime fiction. I know a lot of authors who don’t read in their fields of work, and especially when writing a novel, because they feel that they might somehow be influenced by what they’re reading. At this stage of my career, I feel my writing voice is my own, which may not have been the case when I started. I’ve just finished Philip Roth’s Everyman and I loved it because it so depressing, but so beautifully written, but I don’t so much get influenced by other writers as inspired. In the past a book might have touched me enough so I might have just curled up into a ball and cried. Now I find that if I’ve read something that great, I want to up my own game. It’s not just with novels either; a new [Bruce] Springsteen CD, a movie or a work of art might do it, too. I especially like the books of emergence. The ones you take on holiday that beg you to stay in your hotel room to finish.
You can read the whole interview here.

No comments: