Tuesday, July 07, 2015

Finding Better-Balanced Detectives

Technically, I am on holiday all this week. But I do want to break from that long enough to draw your attention to today’s posting of my latest column in Kirkus Reviews. As I explain, my inspiration for the piece was “an e-mail note I received recently from a reader I’ll call Mary (but only because that’s her actual name). She wrote: ‘I have been an avid reader for over 60 years. I enjoy crime fiction and police procedurals, but I am very weary of the drunken and damaged protagonists that seem to be everywhere. Have you any author or book suggestions that vary from this tired trope? Thanks in advance.’”

The column then goes on to suggest some authors--including Martin Walker and Leighton Gage--whose stories feature at least somewhat better-adjusted sleuths. You can read the whole thing here.

No comments: