Friday, October 16, 2009

Warning: Scam Artists at Work

I received a rather distressed message this afternoon from critic Dick Adler, informing me that his electronic mail account has been compromised. Or as he put it ...
I’ve been digitally raped. And I believe it has happened to other Facebook users. Somebody has stolen my e-mail address and is using it to contact my list with a story about me being mugged in the UK and asking them to send $$$ to an
Edinburgh address.

Is this the start of a mystery, or what?
I was among those who received this e-note yesterday, ostensibly from Adler himself:
Hello

How are you doing?, I hope all is well with you and family. It is me Dick Adler and I am sending this email direct from United Kingdom. I’m writing this to you in a hurry but I want to say I’m really sorry I didn't inform you about my traveling to United Kingdom, I am here for a Seminar. It was something urgent which I did not even inform anyone about the trip. But I just got myself in serious mess now. I am stranded here in United Kingdom, I was robbed on my arrival and everything I have was stolen from me including my Luggage, Mobile Phone, Diary, and my wallet which contains all my Money and my Bank Cards, I am left alone with the cloth I am putting on and my passport, Although I have filed the case at the nearest police station.

Meanwhile I need to clear my Bills and get out of this place, I will be glad if you can assist me with a soft loan urgently with the sum of $1,800 USD to sort-out my hotel bills and get myself back home. I will appreciate whatever you can afford and I promise to pay you back as soon as I return, Please don't ignore my message because I really need your help urgently and you are the hope I am having presently and I assured you that I will pay back on my arrival home.

I will be glad if you can help me out as no amount is too small for my present situation, You will help me to send the money through Western Union with this details below.

Name: Dick Adler
Address: 4 Porteous pend
City: Edinburgh
Zip code: EH1 2HP
State: Scotland
Country: United Kingdom
Test Question: Thank
Answer: You

Kindly help me to make the transfer as soon as you receive this email and you should get back to me with the 10 Digit Money Transfer Control Number, exact Amount sent with details used in sending it. I still have my passport to prove my identity at Western union here when receiving the money, and I will email you with the return flight details immediately I receive the money.

Your reply will be appreciated.

Thanks so much
Dick Adler
The Britishisms in this message (“sort-out” and “diary,” instead of appointment calendar) should have been tip-offs that it wasn’t being sent by American Adler. So should the poor-quality English.

I hope nobody was taken in by this confidence game. Adler assures me that he’s fine and nowhere in the vicinity of London.

No comments: